[Kc] cleaning up unicode?

Douglas S. Sparling kcperlmonger at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 10:14:21 CST 2003

--- John Reinke <jmreinke at sunflower.com> wrote:

> Once I can match those characters, is there an easy
> way to convert all
> accented characters to their non-accented
> counterparts, such that the
> accent will disappear but the same letter will
> remain?

I don't know if this is what you are looking for, but
the new issue of "The Perl Journal" (March 2003) has
an article titled "Writing Multilingual Sites With
mod_perl and Template Toolkit." There's code for a
small module included that will do a translation
turning accented characters into their non-accented
counterparts.

An example given using this module (which also
converts caps to lower case):

use My::Language; # This is the translation module
$stripped_lc =
$charsets{'iso-8859-1'}{lc}->{'Bienvenüe');

$stripped_lc will be set to:

beinvenue

--
doug