[Kc] January kc.pm.org meeting

A Moore amoore at mooresystems.com
Tue Jan 14 21:05:49 CST 2003

Hi -

The January kc.pm.org meeting was tonight at Planet Sub. The Elvis room
was taken already and they temporarily had lost their liquor license,
but that didn't stop us from having a heck of a time anyway. In
attendance were myself, Michael Morgan, and Garrett. Here are some of
the topics that we discussed:

- Garrett gave a review of Mastering Algorithms with Perl
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/maperl/ , the text of it should be on the
website shortly.

- Since the last puzzle (the self-replicating program) was so tough,
Garrett let us off with the "100 monkeys problem." It's a pretty good
thought problem as well as a programming exercise, so hopefully he will
mail the description out so you can all take a crack at it.

- I spoke a bit about some changes I've been making to the website
(http://kc.pm.org) including adding minutes from recent meetings, text
about our regular meeting schedule, and cleaning some stuff up. I'll try
to keep it updated with semi-regular news and whatnot, but I'll
certainly try to delegate the work. Look for a wiki or something soon.

- Michael brought a deck of "compost gin" cards
(http://www.stanslaughter.com/compost/cpstgin.html) and mentioned that
if we wanted to make an online version of it that the creator would
probably let us. It could even turn into a way to support some of our
meetings and books.

- Garret brought up a pretty good discussion about trust metrics, like
those used at Advogato, or Slashdot, and perhaps even Google.

Don't forget to mark your calendar now for next month's episode. It's
the second Tuesday of February, which makes it the 11th, I think.
Anticipated topics include solutions to the 100 monkeys problem, a
little bit of HTML::Mason, and more fun than you should be having on a
Tuesday.

See you all then.
Andy