[Jax.PM] WebCT Developer license

WC Jones (Bill) sneex at bellsouth.net
Fri Apr 4 20:40:58 CST 2003

[Jax.PM Admin Post:  Announcement]

Hi All :)

As many of you may know I was recently informed that my contract
with FCCJ will not be renewed.  I was the Lead e-Systems Developer
and Lead Courseware Support Analyst for both Blackboard and WebCT
at FCCJ.

The reason for this posting simple:  I have negotiated a 1 year
single student and developers license to host WebCT on my domain at
InSecurity.Org

If anyone on the Jax.PM list or those I have CC'ed would like to
see it (it is more than 70% written in Perl) please let me know and
I will give you SSH access to the system.  We would all share that
one SINGLE student account for performing course tests, etc.  It
would not be legal to actually serve live courses from, but
something we can all play with and not worry about breaking it or
legal entanglements.  Anything you do of course would be published
here for all to go "Awwwww - That was marvelous :)"

The WebCT SE server version is the 3.6x series which is the last
and latest (free) version that WebCT offers.  There are two others
they offer: 3.7CE and 3.8CE -- both are commercially priced and
billed at "FTE" (full-time enrollment) rates.

I believe this a rare opportunity, not just for myself (I have 3
years already invested into WebCT) but for those of you who are
interested in Perl and especially something like WebCT - one of the
top three leading Distance Learning CMS companies - this gives you
a chance to see the "guts."

I have a few details to finalize with WebCT about the license key
and license itself, but at this stage it is a done deal.  A few
things to understand -- We will NOT have support from WebCT -- we
will be alone in a lot of regard, so understand this is strictly a
"per invitation, and voluntary" effort.  I reserve the right to
deny access in the future if things were to get out of hand, for
example.

http://www.webct.com/ is their corporate site -- if you are
interested.  I will publish the project site and open it thru my
firewall once I have the system downloaded and installed.

As always discussion, comments, etc, are welcome; for those of you
who are NOT subscribed to the list - you are welcome to comment,
but I will be moderating all non-member posts - so if you post back
to the list and not to me you will get a bounce message which I
will see.  If your posting is relevant I will forward it to the
Jax.PM Perl members for their viewing and comments.

-Sx-  :)
(The insanely fearless leader who
wonders when it will be all over...)