[Jax.PM] Meetings

WC Jones (Bill) sneex at bellsouth.net
Wed Apr 2 10:08:08 CST 2003

On Wednesday, April 2, 2003, at 09:59  AM, Aaron Johnson wrote:
> I would like to organize a meeting.  If you think you can attend a
> meeting please indicate where you are located and how far you would be
> willing to travel for the meeting.  Include a suggestion for a topic if
> you have one in mind.
>
> I am in Ocala and would be willing to drive ~100 miles (~200 round
> trip)
> for a meeting.

Wow, that is somewhat a long drive.  About 2 hours on the road for
about, what, an hour or so meeting?

While I am not trying to discourage you, I do want to keep things
in perspective.  Jax.PM has been around for 4+ years and, other
than the meeting at YAPC and the ten or so Jax LUG meetings I
attended, there simply has never been a lot of people that would
lend itself to an organized meet and greet.

Most of my involvements within Jacksonville over the last 8 years
have dealt with education and awareness surrounding Unix/Linux/Open
Source, of both myself and others.

In that venue I feel we could meet quarterly to have a "membership"
drive and at that time hold either a "Open Source' science fair or
maybe a programming contest.  My contacts at ORA would be more than
happy to provide prizes (and if they do not I feel confident I can
get local community and business involvement to raise funds for
such a quarterly (or at least annual) local meeting.)

I know that J will catch the :other than Perl: open source air of
the event/meeting.  My thoughts are we can see, initially, if there
is enough local interests in Perl.  But I am afraid, based upon my
own research over the last two years, that such a meeting based
simply on Perl we would find ourselves to be quite alone.

In the last two years, from the four major book sellers (this
includes FCCJ), less than 500 Perl-centric books were sold
(probably 90% of those were ORA books; plus I must say about 200 of
those were students whom I "strongly advised" into purchasing more
books.)  So, assuming overlap, and reselling issues, I would
venture there are about 100-200 people in the Jacksonville area
that are NOT yet members.

Maybe they don't want to be members.  Maybe they don't know about
the group.  I know the students I taught know about it.  None of
them, if I am not missing anyone, are members to my knowledge.

I do not wish to end this on a sour note, so allow me to cast the
first suggestion out for discussion:

We plan to meet in May (it would take that long for me to get
anything of interest from vendors) -  We could plan a simple

#!perl -w
print "Hello Jax!";

With introductions to Perl, Perl in general, our group, and some
demonstrations about Perl.  The whole "presentation" would last at
the most 2 hours -- maybe four if there is a "lot" of interest.

What do you think about that?
-Sx- :)