[JaxPM] Jax.PM Project

Steve Lane sml at zfx.com
Sun May 6 09:01:12 CDT 2001

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er Steve Lane <sml at zfx.com> wrote -

"JONES, WILLIAM C" wrote:
> The Solaris server is on a NMLI/10MBit connection and the LinuxPPC system is
> on a Cable Modem which generally gets 150KBytes incoming from the Internet
> and 50KBytes outgoing to the Internet.  Only probably is that my home
> connections dies each morning and afternoon for reasons unknown.  It happens
> around 9AM and 5PM each day and can last anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour.
> MediaOne (RR) (now owned by AT&T) doesn't have a clue - even though I've had
> techs out here 5 times  :(

i don't see this as a problem... if we succeed, we'll have
a package that's easily installable anywhere, so the machine
being occasionally down during development is ok.

> 1)  We should target a CPAN distro (although this code will more than likely
> have PHP and other things in it as well.)

i'd really rather not use php if at all possible :).

even if it doesn't ever go to CPAN, having a CPAN-like bundle
would be a very good thing, i think.  we could probably use
CPAN.pm for dependencies and stuff like that, but i don't know
for sure as i've never done that.  of course, this is the final
stage in the project, so we don't need to hold up efforts on
this, but it may affect the package file design.

> 3)  I myself am leaning toward Postgress, but couldn't we target both?

hmm... i dunno.  sounds like i need to learn postgres :).
mysql is nearly standard, or at least required, for many
Linux projects these days.  but if postgres is that much
better, definitely use it.  the effort in targeting both
would probably end up being a DBI wrapper module that skipped
the postgres-specific methods if/when mysql was being used.

but it's probably not worth the effort to support mysql.
i can always do that part of it myself.  all i ask is that
we have a module to encapsulate all the DBI stuff.

> 5)  I feel we should decide upon initial scope, templates for site design
> and user interface, and let the 'specs' take care of themselves.  Like I
> said, a project manager I'm not - as soon as things turn too businessy I run
> away  :)

a spec has nothing to do with "businessy" and everything to
do with organization... i'll be happy to do the spec.  but
i need at least a rough idea of what the darn thing's supposed
to do first :).  the "initial scope" and mockups are the lion's
share of the spec, anyway.

> 6)  CVS (or something like it) would be nice - but I have never used
> anything like that.

you'll love it.
--
Steve Lane <sml at zfx.com>