[JaxPM] Jax.PM Project

JONES, WILLIAM C wcjones at exchange.fccj.org
Sat May 5 09:17:54 CDT 2001

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er "JONES, WILLIAM C" <wcjones at exchange.fccj.org> wrote -

OK  :)   J is the Project God!  You go J!

On a side note: a Machine would be nice...

Let's see - I have an Ultra 10 running Solaris 8 with ftp/ssh/http(s) access
@ work;
and I have LinuxPPC 2k 4Q on an older G3 (full open, no firewall) @ home.

In case not everyone knows, LinuxPPC is based upon the RedHat distro; but
runs on Motorola PPC (in my case I have mostly all G3 or G4 systems...)

The Solaris server is on a NMLI/10MBit connection and the LinuxPPC system is
on a Cable Modem which generally gets 150KBytes incoming from the Internet
and 50KBytes outgoing to the Internet.  Only probably is that my home
connections dies each morning and afternoon for reasons unknown.  It happens
around 9AM and 5PM each day and can last anywhere from 5 minutes to an hour.
MediaOne (RR) (now owned by AT&T) doesn't have a clue - even though I've had
techs out here 5 times  :(

I have to agree with Steve on several points -

1)  We should target a CPAN distro (although this code will more than likely
have PHP and other things in it as well.)

2)  We need a bugzilla reporting system - I'll research that unless there is
a favorite.

3)  I myself am leaning toward Postgress, but couldn't we target both?

4)  Should we use Sourceforge for the machine site?  I see that
SourceExchange closed down recently, but Sourceforge should be stronger than
ever.

5)  I feel we should decide upon initial scope, templates for site design
and user interface, and let the 'specs' take care of themselves.  Like I
said, a project manager I'm not - as soon as things turn too businessy I run
away  :)

6)  CVS (or something like it) would be nice - but I have never used
anything like that.

Sounds like we are heading toward SourceForge as they have just about
everything we would need  :)

As far as a definition of 'stable' - in this case I mean Open Source code
from Apache, Perl, PHP, et al, that the 'vendor' considers stable.
Obviously we will have a moving target and we should plan upgrades etc, but
long term I do not want to be too cutting edge; portability and stability
may be boring but they pay the bills in the long run.  The TomCat Servlet
engine is about the only thing I would hazard on - as a necessary evil - to
help with Whiteboard and Chat, etc...

:)