[JaxPM] Jax.PM Project

Steve Lane sml at zfx.com
Sat May 5 07:43:49 CDT 2001

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er Steve Lane <sml at zfx.com> wrote -

"JONES, WILLIAM C" wrote:
> However, my project management skills suck, and I feel that J or Steve have
> MUCH more relevant Perl experience than I - so, therefore I submit that we
> elect either Steve or J into the position of Keeper of the Holiest Jax.PM
> Project specs, goals, and guidelines  :)

nope -- i'd love to help, but this is a little too similar
to my day job (actually, it's exactly like my day job :)
for me to commit to anything.

> Also, along the lines of 'specs' I would like to open for discussion these:
>
> General requirements:
>
> 1)  No requirement may violate another requirement:
>  *  Must be portable within Intel/PPC/Ultrasparc systems...
>  *  Must use current/stable versions of all software...
>  *  Must use ONLY Open Source systems or be completely
>     hand written by PM members...

no problem.

> Software requirements:
>
> * Must use Apache-Stable code, no beta or bleeding edge stuff...
> * Must use Perl-Stable code, etc, etc...

any particular versions?  apache 1.3.19?  perl 5.6.1?
probably not a -huge- issue, but an easy one to get out of
the way.

has the host machine been chosen yet?

> We need to decide upon a database model:
>
> XML-oriented (ie: flat text, but portable descriptors...)
> DBM/DBI
> MySQL
> Postgres
> Choose something free that runs on at least:
> Redhat, LinuxPPC, SuSE, Debian, AIX, and Solaris, etc...
> I know that Postgres runs on them all...

i'm very familiar/experienced with mysql, other than installing
it -- haven't done that in a couple of years.  but i'll probably
be doing an install this weekend.

i favor mysql for the core database, with a nice set of methods
for an XML export of the entire database.  if mysql, DBI
and DBD::mysql go without saying i guess.

mod_perl?

> Application requirements:
>
> *  Must forms/template driven with security foremost in mind.
> *  Be extensible using said templates...
> *  Have various authentication methods:  LDAP, /etc/passwd, .htaccess,
> etc...

why have more than one?

a mod_perl serverauth lookup into the mysql database would
work well i think.

> *  Have it's own internal mail system (must not rely, nor depend, upon
>    the sendmail, blat.exe, or lack thereof...)

definitely.  what's the current Perl solution for email?
Mail::Sender?  (i use sendmail, but probably need to get
away from that.)

> *  Have a IRC/Chat method...

with what?  java?

> *  Have a Whiteboard function...
> *  Have a Discussion list function...
> *  Have a Portal function.

more info is needed :) but it looks like this is the
beginning of the spec.  i've done these kinds of apps
a lot.

> *  Have a forms/template driven testing system...

how about Test::Harness for the test suite?  use LWP
and make a really killer set of tests that do everything
from security to layout testing?  i've yet to do a good
t/* suite, but i've been wanting to make one lately.

> I think that will take us about 3 months if we get started right away  :)

heh.  i'm used to making estimates in terms of hours.  this
is still a little too rough for a reasonable estimate, but
i'd guess that it'd take me 200-1000 hrs, depending on features,
and not including design/html-mockups.  it's a whole bunch of
functions.

so... how about just starting with one of the functions... i.e.
whiteboard... and making a really killer app for it, and go from
there?

> (I'm teasing, I'm teasing.  Seriously, you guys think about it and get back
> to the list with some ideas or follow-up discussion.)

i favor having the "final product" be a CPAN bundle with
the usual installation path.  the main applications can be
modules, then have a lightweight set of stuff to do to
httpd.conf to make the thing work.  a little installer to
make docroot (and stuff initial set of HTML files) and database.
then config the app through the web and the rest falls into
place.

i think this could be a good thing... i don't know if there
are many Perl modules that are full "products" and are of
good quality.

let's build this thing with an emphasis on reusability (my
comments on CPAN bundle and test suite and installation imply
that i guess... but just want to make sure).  people (including
me) might be more likely to contribute if they know they can
install their own version of the finished product immediately.

any comments on version control?  i still like CVS, though i
have a lot to learn about it.

looks to me like the next steps are:
- decide on initial scope
- firm up the specs