[JaxPM] Perl based shopping cart recommendation(s)

j proctor jproctor at oit.umass.edu
Fri May 19 09:32:50 CDT 2000

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er j proctor <jproctor at oit.umass.edu> wrote -

> I need to set up a shopping cart web site, and I wanted opinions on some
> of the Perl based shopping carts out there.
>
> I've seached some of the cgi sites, and there's so many I hardly know what
> to make of any any of them. GPL/freeware is good, but not mandatory.

I saw an interesting article recently (I wish I could remember where)
about how the "shopping cart" was really a crummy metaphor to use for web
commerce.  Mostly, I think, because the idea breaks down when you want to
do really cool stuff.

Having made my philosophical point, I'll further degrade the
signal-to-noise ratio around here:  I have absolutely nothing *useful* to
add to the discussion.  I understand there's a certain amount of 'yeah,
it's boring, but it gets the job done and makes the client happy', and I
can respect that.  However, I haven't messed with that kind of stuff in
years, and I don't miss it one bit.  :)

Ooh!  Here's a thought!  Find out what O'Reilly's using on their own web
site.  I guarantee that it's some of the best code on the web today
(depending on how closely their feature set matches with what you need).

Good luck with this one, Nate.