[JaxPM] CGI.pm and Javascript

Glynn Black blackgr at alltel.net
Thu Aug 17 22:02:43 CDT 2000

On the jacksonville-pm-list; Jax.PM'er Glynn Black <blackgr at alltel.net> wrote -

I've finally gotten around to teaching myself CGI.pm. I already see it
takes a different mindset from your typical GUI design. I picked up
Lincoln Stein's book sometime ago and more recently the second edition
of O'Reilly's CGI Programming book. From the two books I'm seeing
basically two different approaches.; the self-contained approach, which
I favor at the moment, and separating the html from the server side code
to whatever degree.

I have a simple project I'm learning with that connects with MySQL. I've
made decent progress so far with the self-contained approach, until
I try to incorporate javascript to do client side field validation. I've
hit a wall when it comes to debugging the javascript.  Mr. Stein's book
seems to focus on the self-contained approach but from what I can see
doesn't elaborate on working problems out of javascript code.  The
O'Reilly book covers Javascript also but separates it from the perl
code. It covers the self contained approach in the DBI section but
nothing that I see on javascript field validation.  I've thought about
creating the forms with CGI.pm first, copying the html source from the
browser into a separate file, working the kinks out of the javascript
code and then rolling the javascript back into the perl script. Can
anyone share thier strategies for dealing with this? Is client-side
validation overrated? Worth the trouble?