[JaxPM]

Nate catenate at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 29 09:01:36 CDT 1999

On the Jax.PM jacksonville-pm-list;
Nate <catenate at yahoo.com> wrote -

--- Bill Jones <bill at fccj.org> wrote:
> On the Jax.PM jacksonville-pm-list;
> "Bill Jones" <bill at fccj.org> wrote -

> > Are you all a pretty active group?
> >
> > Tim
> >

> Not really.  Everyone is listening to everyone else (sort of like
> SETI) and no one wants to be the first to speak.
>
> A few are posting, to be fair, but it is really a trickle...

Last week I kind of felt out the group by asking a nuber of questions
that might have gotten me flamed on certain lists (read: metioned
Windoze), and I was pleasently surprised at the response.

I got a number of intelligent and helpful replies, and no one told me
not to post the things I had posted.

If we don't really have a protocol established on the list, I'd like to
propose one now.

<begin wish list>
I'm really still a Perl beginner and I'd like to be able to ask for
help not just with specific problems (like "How do I process binary
data?") but with questions on general program design and approach to
new Perl projects.

I'd particulary like to see some experts discuss the approach/design
issues. I say this because I can always read the Camel book or Perl
Cookbook and see how to solve particular problems, but sometimes I'd
like to hear from an experienced Perl hacker how they would approach a
problem that I or others on the list might be facing. I have only
Microsoft ASP people around me here, and they ARE NOT a valuable source
of info on program design (read: couldn't tell you how to exit a MS-DOS
prompt).
</wish list>

I hope I'm not overstepping my bounds here, I just hope we can make
this a good forum for newbies and experienced hackers alike.

=====
nate    catenate at yahoo.com
[infosec|linux|perl] nut
my infosec favorites -> www.geocities.com/catenate/