perl script design question

Bill Jones bill at fccj.org
Sun Sep 26 20:37:42 CDT 1999

On the Jax.PM jacksonville-pm-list;
"Bill Jones" <bill at fccj.org> wrote -

> Nate <catenate at yahoo.com> wrote -

> instead of a DBM or other database. I only forsee having 50-200 people
> actually complete this survey, so is the flat file good enough?

I do not foresee any problems.  There are some die-hard DB fans that would
say otherwise...

> the keys would be duplicated each time a new query was submitted,
> overwriting the old keys and values.

Why? Generating unique keys would be a good thing, even for flat files...

> Could/should I just parse the query as it came in from the browser, and
> increment some values in the flat file to register the values that they
> selected? This might not be too good if we get lots of hits at one time
> (like lunch or first thing in the AM).

If you get 'lots' of hits then whatever you do would be better than nothing.
Besides, your idea of 'lots' of hits when you say only 200 would be visiting
is sort of mutually exclusive.  Now, if you are going to get 200,000
'visitors' then we can talk.  My Ultra-1 starts having trouble at about 100
concurrent CGI's (each running a complete perl run-time environment.)  To
really get good performance you need to develop Apache Mod_Perl modules.

> What are your thoughts? I know my sig says I'm a perl nut, and it's
> true, I'm just not too experienced a perl nut, yet. I'm actually amazed
> at how little I really know about perl, and how I can still produce
> very functional results with it. I just want to maximize the script ;)

Crawl, walk, run, ride a bike, drive a car, fly a plane -
we all must start somewhere :)

> Of course I'm happy to give more details if I left anything out.

Nah, we really don't write too many scripts on the JaxPM list; however, if
you have a specific coding problem - then post it, someone may be able to
help :)

HTH,
-Sneex-  :]

The Jacksonville Perl Monger's Group is operated by -
Bill -Sneex- Jones ( sneex at usa.net ),