how would you do this?

Nate catenate at yahoo.com
Mon Oct 4 14:42:56 CDT 1999

On the Jax.PM jacksonville-pm-list;
Nate <catenate at yahoo.com> wrote -

I want to translate a string captured from a web form into readable
output. It seems that I should to use the built in functions hex() and
chr(), right?

My problem seems to be getting it to substitute with the s/// operator.

Now if $_ contains the string "You%20guys%20rule%21"
can I do something like this:

$name=~ s/$_/chr(hex($_))/ge ;
print $name;

...and have it print "You guys rule!"?

This example DOES NOT work, so what can I do?

Now I've got the Camel book and the hex() and chr() functions are well
defined, but I can't make them work for me :(

=====
nate    catenate at yahoo.com
my infosec favorites -> www.geocities.com/catenate/
People understand instinctively that the best way for computer programs to communicate with each other is for each of them to be strict in what they emit, and liberal in what they accept. The odd thing is that people themselves are not willing to be strict in how they speak, and liberal in how they listen.
  --Larry Wall, 2nd State of the Onion Address, August 1998