[pm-h] Linux Distribution Selection

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Sat Jan 9 06:12:27 PST 2016

On 1/9/2016 6:57 AM, Reini Urban via Houston wrote:
> The redhat derivatives fedora and centos all use a pretty broken perl package, but has overall much better security than debian derivatives (ubuntu, mint).
> cpanel on top of centos comes with it’s own perl which is much better, and has better security updates.
>
> besides cpanel my current favorite is also archlinux, which has always the latest versions, you don’t have to wait 2 years to get major upgrades as with redhat or debian.
> And archlinux has a much better security track record than debian.
>
> I personally switched from mint back to debian 8 and I’m considering now archlinux on my mac air. OS X starts sucking big time since yosemite.
> Switching back to mDSNresponder in el capitan did’t help much with wifi problems, but you need a patched kernel driver for the crazy broadcom
> chip on the macbook.
>
> on a public server I would never use ubuntu or mint.
>

> Reini Urban
> rurban at cpan.org

Thank you everybody for all the responses.
I didn't expect to get that much response.
Obviously a group who knows Linux.

I have Mint ready to go when I get the machine. (not ordered yet)
Then I will try others if necessary.
Windows is pretty much out of the question.
I'm going to have to make Linux work for me.

Mike