[pm-h] Linux Distribution Selection

Mike Flannigan mikeflan at att.net
Thu Jan 7 04:37:01 PST 2016

I plan to buy a computer and install nothing but
Linux on it.  I will use it for Perl processing of
text files, GIS (mapping), and simple things (e-mail,
browsing, FTP, etc).  I want to be able to Remote
Desktop into Windows machines, and I want to be able
to remote into my new Linux machine from Windows.
Stability and speed are important, but not super
important.  This will be one of about 4 computers
on a wired network.  No servers to speak of.

I value your opinion on which distro to select.  I
am favoring Ubuntu or OpenSuse, but am open to any.
I have Ubuntu installed on one of my machines.  I'm
not crazy about it, but I do like the wide selection
of software and easy installation of the software.

Probably the most important thing to me is being able
to find/obtain support.  I'm probably not going to pay
for the support, but that is an option too.

If you would rather comment on what hardware to buy instead
of what distro to use, I welcome that info also.  I will
probably buy a high dollar graphics card.  Other than that I
will buy what the computer store (Fry's) tells me to buy.

When I read things like this:
https://www.linux.com/news/software/applications/810295-the-top-11-best-linux-distros-for-2015/
I tend towards OpenSuse.

One word answers are welcome.