[pm-h] Power::Outlet

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Mon Sep 8 09:22:21 PDT 2014

On Mon, 8 Sep 2014 08:59:44 -0700
"Michael R. Davis" <mrdvt92 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> G. Wade and Perl Folks,
> I have a personal pet project called Power::Outlet where I'm trying
> to enable network attached power outlets devices under a single the
> umbrella.  It's a fairly open architecture and could support any
> on/off controller.  If anyone has network attached power outlets and
> would not mind being my tester please send me the specs and I'd like
> to add it to the Power::Outlet project.

Sounds interesting. Interested in giving presentation about it at some
point. (I gotta try.)

> It currently supports Belkin WeMo, Dataprobe iBoot, and Dataprobe
> iBootBar.  I have specs for Aviosys IP POWER 9258 but I don't have
> any test hardware.
>
> For example, this is all you need to add to cron to turn on and off a
> network attached lamp.
>
> 0 18 * * * power-outlet iBoot ON  host mylamp
> 0 22 * * * power-outlet iBoot OFF host mylamp
>
> or something fancier if you have a daytime/nighttime script
>
> 0-59/10 * * * * is_nighttime && power-outlet iBoot ON  host mylamp
> 5-59/10 * * * * is_daytime   && power-outlet iBoot OFF  host mylamp

That interface looks pretty nice.

> In Perl a one liner
>
>  perl -MPower::Outlet -e 'print Power::Outlet->new(type=>"iBoot",
> host=>shift)->on, "\n"' mylamp
>
> My goal is to get drivers together as network attached everything
> will be here shortly.
>
> Lesson learned: ensure the next stereo you buy saves it settings when
> you pull the plug. Thanks,

<grin/>Definitely an important lesson.

> Mike
>
> mrdvt92

The computer should be doing the hard work. That's what it's paid to do,
after all.                                            -- Larry Wall