[pm-h] Time for the first "Houston.pm Beginners/Novices Hangout"

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sat Oct 26 13:54:52 PDT 2013

On Sat, 26 Oct 2013 13:47:29 -0500
Mark Allen <mrallen1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Let's do it office hours style?
>
> Weekly on x day at y time for 1 hour minimum and longer if
> mentors/mentees like.
>
> Maybe mentors could host their own or start one ad hoc and send a
> note to the email listserv?
>
> Idk. Just some suggestions.

That's one of the directions I'm thinking of going. I'm glad someone
else thought it was a reasonable idea. Thanks for pointing it out.

At the moment, I'm looking for input on the first session. I could pull
a time/date out of the air that would be good for me, but we won't be
able to check the idea unless I know there are people who will be there.

I think once we've proved the idea, we might spread the fun around.

Other thoughts.
G. Wade

> Sent from my iPhone
>
> > On Oct 26, 2013, at 12:19 PM, "G. Wade Johnson"
> > <gwadej at anomaly.org> wrote:
> >
> > For those people who are interested in the Introductory
> > hangout/office hours/mentoring/help session thing, I'm trying to
> > come up with a good time to try the first one.
> >
> > The ideas I'm considering:
> >
> > Length:
> >  1. 1 hour
> >  2. 1.5 hours
> >  3. 2 hours
> >
> > Times:
> >
> >  1. Lunch hour-ish (maybe 11:30-1:30)
> >     - Advantages
> >    a. Help for work projects easier
> >         b. Doesn't impact people's evenings
> >     - Disadvantages
> >    a. Help for home projects is weirder
> >         b. Some companies might object to using work time.
> >    c. May not want personal Google account on work computer
> >
> >  2. Late afternoon/Early evening (maybe 5:00-7:00)
> >     - Advantages
> >    a. Partial overlap of work time, for work projects
> >         b. Partial overlap of home time, for home projects
> >    c. Small impact on people's evenings
> >    d. Small impact on work time
> >     - Disadvantages
> >    a. Overlaps many peoples' commutes
> >         b. Some companies might object to using work time.
> >    c. May not want personal Google account on work computer
> >
> >  3. Evening (maybe 7:00-9:00)
> >     - Advantages
> >    a. Help for home projects is easier
> >    b. Minimal impact on work time
> >     - Disadvantages
> >    a. Significant impact on peoples' evening time
> >         b. Potential issues getting help on work projects
> >
> > Days:
> >
> >  I'm thinking of picking a day next week or the one after to try
> > this. Some input before I choose gives you a chance to help decide
> > this.
> >
> >  At the moment, I'm mostly considering weekdays. If anyone would
> >  prefer to do a weekend, speak up.
> >
> > Thanks,
> > G. Wade
> > --
> > Be a good ancestor.                                   -- Jonas Salk

The competent programmer is fully aware of the limited size of his own
skull. He therefore approaches his task with full humility, and avoids
clever tricks like the plague.                   -- Edsger Dijkstra