[pm-h] Introductory Perl Help

Michael R. Davis mrdvt92 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 24 11:56:20 PDT 2013

>deal with for Perl. In our meetings, we focus on the big, powerful
>applications of Perl. We tend to ignore the little, useful scripts.

I use Perl for both major applications and minor scripts.  Although I tend to use the good old command line (e.g. find, sed and grep) for most of what I would consider minor.

But, I think the real power of Perl comes from packages and CPAN.  However, with the right packages major scripts turn into minor ones.

We have a bunch of in-house packages some of which have been open sourced at http://search.cpan.org/~mrdvt/.

But, what I think would be the killer app of "Introductory Perl Help" would be

1) What are the best CPAN packages to start my foundation upon?
2) How can I start my foundation with my own packages? (e.g. the database connect package)
3) How can I convert my Perl packages into OS packages so that they are always available (RPM, PPM, etc.)?
4) What are the lessons learned from others so that I hopefully won't be in the same boat.

I think the CPAN indexer should have a place where I can list my favorite CPAN packages. I'd start with Path::Class and DateTime.

I hope to make the meeting in December.
Thanks,
Mike

mrdvt92