[pm-h] Introductory Perl Help

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Wed Oct 23 11:48:03 PDT 2013

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 20:10:39 -0500
Mike Flannigan <mikeflan at att.net> wrote:

> Yeah, I just ask this list when I have a question.
> Or I ask over at Perl Beginners listserver.
> I sue those for the hard questions.  For the easy
> questions I just Google it.  I use Google more
> than anything else.

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the input.

I'm glad you have been able to get input from other resources. I hope
this list and the hangout will become more useful to you as well.

> I'd like to see some simple things explained on
> a Google+ hangout.  LWP, web stuff, maybe a little
> SQL stuff.  I can get this from other sources too,
> but I wouldn't mind seeing it in a web conferencing
> atmosphere.

We have had some of these topics covered in the past, so the talks
pages may have some information that will help. My goal with this is
really to help people get unstuck and see how to proceed, rather than
teaching.

For example, if you had a particular task you wanted to perform with
LWP (even if it's an example problem), we could walk through where you
are stuck and get you moving again. Also, we could answer questions on
the modules that we know.

It sounds like what I have in mind could be useful to you as well.

G. Wade

> Mike
>

> On 10/22/2013 6:41 PM, Scott Adams wrote:
> >
> > I no longer live in Houston, but if anyone has a Perl related
> > question I'd be happy to provide help or direction to documentation.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > On Oct 21, 2013 11:04 PM, "G. Wade Johnson" <gwadej at anomaly.org
> > <mailto:gwadej at anomaly.org>> wrote:
> >
> >     One of the goals listed on our "About Houston.pm"
> >     (http://houston.pm.org/about.html) page is "Provide help and
> > mentoring to local Perl programmers."
> >
> >     After talking with a few of the more inexperienced Perl
> > programmers in our group, I think we are falling down in this area.
> >
> >     For this reason, I'm going to be starting a regular session for
> >     answering basic Perl and programming questions. I'd like to get
> > some input from those who need this help.
> >
> >     1. Would you be willing to get together for another monthly
> >     meeting for
> >     mentoring and question answering?
> >
> >     2. Would you be willing to do a monthly remote session through
> >     something like Google Hangouts, where you could get help?
> >
> >     3. Would you be more inclined to talk to a single person, or
> > one of a few experts?
> >
> >     4. Would you use this session regularly?
> >
> >     5. Would you use this session only when you run into a specific
> >     problem?
> >
> >     I really appreciate your time and input on this. Having mentored
> >     people
> >     before and taught programming classes, I'm confident that we
> > can make this work.
> >
> >     Thanks for your time and help.
> >     G. Wade
> >     --
> >     Understanding is a three-edged sword.      -- Kosh in

You forgot the first rule of the fanatic: when you become obsessed with
the enemy, you become the enemy.     -- Jeffrey Sinclair in "Infection"