[pm-h] Introductory Perl Help

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Tue Oct 22 16:28:15 PDT 2013

On Tue, 22 Oct 2013 14:00:51 -0500
K Mitsch <kmitsch at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm working my way through Learning Perl at the moment and am new to
> programming so I feel like I can benefit from just about any guidance
> I can get.  I would take advantage of either a monthly meeting or a
> hangout/IRC room.

Sounds good.

> Between Perl Monks, other online resources, and the folks I've met
> here in Houston already I don't feel like it is a struggle to find
> someone to ask specific questions of, for dealing with a problem or
> confusing topic.  I think I would get more out of a session that
> covered some of the projects and applications for Perl that are at
> beginner/intermediate level. Analyzing some code, best practices,
> tips and tricks kind of thing.

Thanks for the input. That'll help on deciding what we do with this...
whatever it turns out to be.

I often recommend that new people check out Perl Monks. It's a great
resource, no matter what level of Perl programmer you are. If you are
looking for projects and such, we have covered quite a few over time.
The slides for each are on the Houston.pm website under
http://houston.pm.org/talks/

There's also a set of talks that I did on Perl Tips and Traps a few
years back. It doesn't cover the latest Perls. But those talks should
still be helpful.

G. Wade

--
You write code as if the person who will maintain your code is a violent
psychopath who knows where you live.               -- John F. Woods