[pm-h] Functional Programming Meet Up

Reini Urban reini.urban at gmail.com
Sat Oct 12 19:08:26 PDT 2013

On Oct 12, 2013, at 7:38 PM, Mark Allen <mrallen1 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I know some of you have already heard about this, but I am starting a new functional programming users group in Houston and I wanted to invite all of my Perl friends to come to our first meeting.  If you want to learn more about Scala (because of Stevan Little's moe project), Clojure, Erlang, Haskell or F#, this is a user community you should join.
>
> Learning Erlang at my dayjob has vastly improved the way I approach problem solving and writing Perl code.  Also a lot of functional languages make hard problems (like distributed or asynchronous computing) easier and/or simpler to solve.
>
> It's this Wednesday, October 16, 2013
> 6:30-8:30
> Pizza included
>
> The topic is "Introduction to Webmachine."  Webmachine is a fast and easy way to build HTTP endpoints in Erlang.  It's also been ported to Perl because it has a ton of awesomely good ideas and we like to steal from the best. ;-)
>
> https://metacpan.org/module/Web::Machine

Great, but Wednesday 6:30-8:30 clashes with the weekly Houston Linux Usergroup meetings,
and with the next Houston Rockets game.

Maybe I can visit next time.

You might be interested that p2, a new perl11 (5+6) is using an almost purely functional message-passing based
VM as backbone, with some concepts borrowed from Erlang, but more from Smalltalk, IO, lua, REBOL and LISP.
It's IO is more nodejs alike (async, non-blocking, with fast callbacks), not like multi-threaded blocking IO as in
Erlang or Go. But the lightweight coros are similar.