[pm-h] June Houston.pm Meeting: p2: The Design and VM of a Next Generation Perl (11 = 5+6)

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sun May 26 12:53:01 PDT 2013

Our next technical meeting is back on our regular schedule of the
second Thursday of the month. We'll meet at 3131 W. Alabama on
Thursday, June 13, between 6:30pm and 7pm in the lobby. As usual, we'll
go up the the conference room around 7pm.

Reini Urban will present his work on a next generation version of Perl.

Some are concerned with the recent direction of Perl, with Perl 5
holding back from new features in the name of backwards compatibility,
and Perl 6 continuing in a long-term research and development mode. P2
is one of the attempts to build a Perl 11 (5+6) that combines the best
of both.

This is one of several recent projects that aim to go back to one of
the original goals of the Perl 6 project: clean up the code base to
simplify maintenance and the ability to add new features. The P2
project is also working on a new VM, which could improve
interoperability.

I hope to see you there.
If you like laws and sausages, you should never watch either one being
made.                                          -- Otto von Bismarck