[pm-h] Request for Topics for August Houston.pm meeting

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Wed Jul 17 14:29:35 PDT 2013

On Wed, 17 Jul 2013 12:47:03 -0500
Todd Rinaldo <todd at rinaldo.us> wrote:

> On Tue, Jul 16, 2013 at 1:53 PM, G. Wade Johnson <gwadej at anomaly.org>
> wrote:
> > Our next meeting is scheduled for August 8. So, it's time once
> > again to request topics or presenters.
> Everyone: please suggest topics even if you can't speak on them. It'd
> be very useful to know.
>
> > I have had comments off list from members saying that we've had
> > several more advanced meetings lately and wondering when we could
> > have some more basic talks.
> This question isn't to Wade. Why aren't we having these discussions
> on list?

In the past, people have contacted me directly for several reasons.
Here are some of them (along with what I normally say):

1. Not sure if the talk would be interesting

   The answer is almost always "yes", by the way.

2. I want to see a talk on the subject, but I don't want to be seen as
   "volunteering" to talk on something I don't know.

   I normally pass the idea to the list, like this time.

3. Not sure that they know enough to show themselves as an "expert" by
   talking.

   You don't have to be an expert to talk on any subject. "I'm learning
   topic X and this is what I've found" is a great talk idea. People
   often learn a bit more when they agree to present.

   It's more than likely that you are more of an expert on some topic
   than some of the people there. We are all looking to learn.

4. Not sure if they would be ready in time.

   The best way I know to make sure you are ready is to commit in front
   of the group. If you can't do it, we can always reschedule. But a
   deadline is a great way to focus the attention.<grin/>

5. The members of this group are too advanced, they wouldn't want to
   "waste" a meeting on a basics talk.

   Some people won't show if the talk isn't to their interest. Others
   show up just to see a new take on stuff they already know. Still
   others may not know the topic and were afraid to ask or didn't know
   enough to ask.

I think that some feel that contacting me directly is better than
announcing to the group that they don't know something. This is a
pretty forgiving group, that is pretty happy to help if you let them
know what you want to know.

Perfection is achieved not when there is nothing more to add but when
there is nothing more to take out.        -- Antoine de Saint Exupery