[pm-h] Perl 7?

Mark Allen mrallen1 at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 6 10:35:55 PST 2013

The routes one comes to a programming language are definitely varied in nature and scope. And most of the people I work with don't argue that Perl isn't capable, its just that in so many different ways, there's a strong bias toward something else.

Speaking about my own $DAYJOB now, we use quite a bit of Perl internally, the most interesting application being a security-analysis DSL that processes hundreds of thousands of security events an hour. But we have long past reached the point where Perl (yes, we are using *shudder* threaded Perl) can handle this load at scale and we are replacing the whole lot of it with Erlang (Real Soon Now). On my own team which writes common enterprise web services, our bias is toward Erlang and then Python as a fallback.  On the common UI front our bias is toward Javascript and PHP (although we are currently in a Thunderdome style death match between PHP and Python - two languages enter, one language leaves...)  The bias towards a back end processing language here is not actually a "vanity" preference, although those biases seep into the choice among suitable languages for the job (for example, there's no technical reason why we should necessarily pick Erlang over
 Go or Clojure, we just happen to have a number of talented Erlang programmers here already so why move away from it when it's totally adequate? (P.S. Don't get me wrong, Erlang has a syntax only its mother could love, and it drives me crazy sometimes, but people say that about Perl too :)))

If your primarily object with a given programming language "A" is to serve requests for content over HTTP, then yes, there are about 11ty billion (give or take 3) that will meet your needs. Heck you could probably write a whole Mojo style HTTP service stack in Brainfuck (not that you should! mind you), so on that point I agree that a lot of language preference tends to be some kind of vanity choice (like, I am really smug, so I need to write Ruby, or I am really anal about whitespace, so I need to write in Python, or I prefer to write what looks like line noise so I pick Perl...)

So anyway, alas, my interaction with Perl in a day-to-day way is mostly in my side projects or in my role as a maintainer of perldoc or Net::Amazon::EC2 and I don't expect that will be changing soon even if I were to take a new $DAYJOB somewhere. (P.P.S. Note to any recruiters: not currently looking, but thanks for asking.)

Mark