[pm-h] [gabor at szabgab.com: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #7]

B. Estrade estrabd at gmail.com
Mon Sep 12 08:15:48 PDT 2011

Enjoy.

Brett

----- Forwarded message from Gabor Szabo <gabor at szabgab.com> -----

Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2011 23:24:20 -0700
From: Gabor Szabo <gabor at szabgab.com>
To: perlweekly at perlweekly.com
Subject: [Perlweekly] The current Perl Weekly News - Issue #7

Perl Weekly Issue #7 - September 12, 2011

http://perlweekly.com/

You can read the newsletter on the web, if you prefer.
http://perlweekly.com/archive/7.html

Hi there,

It seems the pas week brought us less articles but nevertheless I found a
few interesting ones.

The Perl Weekly was mentioned in the <a
href=http://devopsweekly.com/>DevOps Weekly</a> that brought us a few more
subscribers.

I also found out that the subscribe button of the Perl Weekly was partially
broken due to the same-origin policy enforced in some browsers more than in
others. I fixed this now. I hope.

Not to the posts:

Articles

  DotCloud::Environment
  http://blogs.perl.org/users/polettix/2011/09/dotcloudenvironment.html

  Flavio Poletti introduces his 'yet to be fully released' module to make it
  easy to handle the environment in DotCloud
  --------------

  Testing with sqlite
  http://engineerofdanger.blogspot.com/2011/09/testing-with-sqlite.html

  Anthony Pallatto (actualeyes) suggests to use SQLite in your testing
  environment instead of the database used in production. Using SQLite
  certainly has some advantages but there is the great danger of anything
  in production being different from the testing environment. SQLite can be
  good to reduce the complexity to setup development and testing
  environments but just as you do full test cycles every now and then
  (preferably frequently) so should you use a system as close to the
  deployment environment as possible.
  --------------

  Perl says 'Hello I-Programmer'
  http://www.i-programmer.info/programming/perl/3001-perl-says-hi-to-i-programmer.html

  This is the first article I wrote to the I-Programmer.info web site. It
  probably won't be an earth shattering experience for you but it is my
  first one on I-Programmer. It is mostly there so I'll have an in-house
  article to refer to on how to start using Perl when I write more complex
  examples.
  --------------

  Lessons from running Perl Weekly for the first 6 weeks
  http://szabgab.com/blog/2011/09/lessons-from-running-perl-weekly-for-the-first-6-weeks.html

  This is another article I wrote, this time on my own blog, describing my
  experience with this list. It might be interesting to you if you'd like
  to look a bit at the details. I am also comparing the experience with
  that of Peter Cooper who runs the Ruby Weekly which was the inspiration
  to this newsletter.
  --------------

=============

Parrot

  Parrot is a foundering project on top of a wonderful vision.
  http://lists.parrot.org/pipermail/parrot-dev/2011-September/006179.html

  Christoph Otto took off the gloves and started to describe how he wants
  Parrot, and more importantly the Parrot development process to change.
  This is a link to the opening message on the parrot-dev mailing list with
  many important responses.
  --------------

  Parrot, the Smoke Clears
  http://whiteknight.github.com/2011/09/10/dust_settles.html

  Andrew Whitworth (aka Whiteknight on black background) takes the above
  e-mail discussion and writes a lengthy article about the interaction
  between the Parrot and the Rakudo (Perl 6) projects. Compared with the
  JVM and the CLR how they have a primary language but how they have
  started to be good targets for other languages as well.
  --------------

=============

Code

  Parameterized Roles with MooseX::Declare
  http://metacpan.perldition.org/articles/Parameterized%20Roles%20with%20MooseX%3A%3ADeclare.pod

  Florian Ragwitz (rafl) shows the new, undocumented feature of
  MooseX::Declare and points to the Github repository where you could help
  improve the documentation.
  --------------

  Going Postal (with Dancer)
  http://babyl.dyndns.org/techblog/entry/going-postal

  Yanick Champoux (yanick), in his usual colorful way, describes how he wrote
  a plugin for Dancer to handle postal fees in Canada. I am sure if it can
  be done in Canada it can be done elsewhere as well. The nice thing is
  that he even provides a way to save money. Even if not on the actual
  postal fees.
  --------------

  Simple Mojolicious RSS feed
  http://markam.posterous.com/simple-mojolicious-rss-feed

  Mark Meyer (mark) gives a nice and simple example on how distribute updates
  about changes in a system with a very simple	Mojolicious application. If
  only the fonts were bigger on this blog...
  --------------

  How to Run a Long Background Process in a Web App
  http://twiki.org/cgi-bin/view/Blog/BlogEntry201109x2

  Peter Thoeny from Twiki explains a way how to handle long running processes
  lot of people who want to build a web interface to an existing system.
  Eg. a build machine. Unfortunately this solution does not work on
  Windows.
  --------------

  Memory::Usage - Aktuelle Speichernutzung (Current memory usage) in German
  http://perl-howto.de/2011/09/memoryusage-aktuelle-speichernutzung.html

  Thomas Fahle gives a code example and explains (in German) how to check
  what is the memory usage of the current process. So a script or
  application could report its own memory usage. (This is also Linux/Unix
  only.)
  --------------

=============

Perl 6

  'nom' branch is now default, release status
  http://rakudo.org/2011/09/09/nom-branch-default/

  Patrick Michaud (pmichaud) provides us with an update on the status of the
  Rakudo development. The next release is further delayed but the good news
  that it will already come from the new 'nom' branch that is the new
  rewrite of the whole engine.
  --------------

  -n and -p
  http://strangelyconsistent.org/blog/dash-n-and-dash-p-part-three

  This is the third part of the series Carl M??sak has written showing us how
  the -n and -p parameters work in Rakudo Perl 6. The others are on his
  blog as well.
  --------------

=============

Padre

  Fancy syntax checking with Padre
  http://ahmadzawawi.blogspot.com/2011/09/fancy-syntax-checking-with-padre.html

  Ahmad M. Zawawi (azawawi) shows a screenshot of his new addition to Padre,
  the Perl IDE. You don't even have to wait for the next release of Padre
  to use that. You can run it directly from the development environment.
  --------------

=============

Events

  Portuguese Perl Workshop
  http://workshop.perl.pt/ptpw2011/

  September 22-23, 2011, Lisbon, Portugal
  --------------

  OSDC.fr - French Open Source Developers' Conference
  http://act.osdc.fr/osdc2011fr/

  September 23-24, 2011, Paris, France
  --------------

  The Pittsburgh Perl Workshop
  http://pghpw.org/ppw2011/

  October 8-9, 2011, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
  --------------

  YAPC::Asia
  http://yapcasia.org/2011/

  October 13-15, 2011, Tokyo, Japan. The biggest Perl conference in the
  world.
  --------------

  Black Perl 2011 Workshop
  http://black-perl.org/bp2011/

  September 30 - October 2, 2011, Black Sea, Ukraine
  --------------

  German Perl workshop
  http://conferences.yapceurope.org/gpw2011/

  October 19-21, 2011, Frankfurt Am Main, Germany
  --------------

  London Perl Workshop (LPW2011)
  http://conferences.yapceurope.org/lpw2011/

  November 12, 2011, London, UK (what a surprise :)
  --------------

You joined the Perl Weekly to get weekly e-mails about the Perl programming language and related topics.

Want to see more? See the archives ( http://perlweekly.com/archive/ ) of all the issues.

Reading this as a non-subscriber? Join us free of charge. http://perlweekly.com/

(c) Gabor Szabo http://szabgab.com/

If you don't want to receive mails any more
you can unsubscribe here: http://perlweekly.com/unsubscribe.html

----- End forwarded message -----

--
B. Estrade <estrabd at gmail.com>