[pm-h] Can't Move to Linux

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Sun Aug 22 05:15:07 PDT 2010

On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 17:34:01 +0100
"Russell L. Harris" <rlharris at oplink.net> wrote:

> * G. Wade Johnson <gwadej at anomaly.org> [100814 14:49]:
> > On Sat, 14 Aug 2010 08:01:29 -0500
> > Mike Flannigan <mikeflan at att.net> wrote:

> > There are a few distributions that give you a lot more control on
> > the installation. But, I wouldn't recommend them unless you are
> > pretty Linux-savvy already: Slackware, Gentoo. You could try
> > Debian, but it's the basis for Ubuntu and not nearly as friendly,
> > so I would probably recommend against it.
>
> As a Debian user since the year 2000, I would beg to differ, Wade.
>
> Over the past decade, Debian has become about the most user-friendly
> of all Linux distributions.  And in many cases, the installation is
> all but automatic.  So now you can have your Kate, and Edith, too.

I'll bow to your experience on this one.

Mine is based on running the stable release from a few years ago.
Everything seemed to be out of date and a bit awkward. Several people
suggested I could fix all that by running the unstable release. But, I
prefer to have a stable release for my main OS.

It's probably been 4 years since I did that, so I'll allow Debian has
probably improved.

Thanks for the info.
I know I'm on the right track when by deleting code I'm adding
functionality.                                        -- John Carter