[pm-h] Help building Shortcut; Need make.exe for PC

Montgomery Conner montgomery.conner at gmail.com
Wed Oct 1 17:02:35 PDT 2008

You seem to be causing yourself a lot of pain here...

If 'The Man' won't let you use Strawberry Perl you've still got a couple of
options that should allow you to forgo the tedium of building all your
modules by hand with nmake.

I would suggest either 1.) using Cygwin entirely: with it's perl binary and
associated build tools (which would be an exact parallel to the standard
unix Perl build tools i.e. use the cpan shell to install and remove modules
with ported versions of make, linx, ftp, wget, scp, gzip, etc.), or else 2.)
use the official ActiveState module distribution tool 'PPM' (or the newer
'PPM2'): this makes precompiled Windows platform modules available which are
maintained by ActiveState and stored in their icy Canadian archives... I
think there's a graphical browser interface to this tool now... as I recall
even the command line version is absolutely brainless to use.

To install the necessary Cygwin utilities just run their installer and point
it to you existing installation... it will pick up what you've already got
installed and give you options about adding or removing packages through a
simple GUI (you'll probably need to hunt around through a few broad
catagories, but most things you need you can find under 'developer
tools')... this can take a while to install depending on what you select but
may afford the best impedance match if you consider yourself to have been a
unix 'guru' at one time.

Hope that helps!
Montgomery

On Wed, Oct 1, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Haufler, Wayne A <Wayne.A.Haufler at boeing.com