[pm-h] discussion RE benefit of new CPU and more memory

Russell L. Harris rlharris at oplink.net
Sun Jun 24 07:15:30 PDT 2007

* Mike Flannigan <mikeflan at earthlink.net> [070624 09:00]:

> I run FireFox version 0.9.3 and don't seem to experience
> that problem.

> "Russell L. Harris" wrote:
> >
> > A bit of investigation using the Linux utility "top" revealed FireFox
> > to be the obvious culprit.  Then, a posting to the Debian-users list
> > revealed that many people are scratching their heads over the problem
> > of systems in which the system appears to run ever slower, and that
> > FireFox appears to be the common denominator.
> >
> > The solution was to reboot the system (simply stopping all instances
> > of FireFox was not sufficient) and running another browser.  I have
> > switched to the default browser for Debian, which is Epiphany (aka
> > Gnome Web Browser 2.14.3). The result is a drastic improvement in
> > system response and processing speed.  Problem solved!

I am running Debian testing, for which the current version of FireFox
(now called IceWeasel) is 2.0.0.3-1.

And having used Epiphany for a week, I am not entirely happy with it,
either.  Several times Epiphany has frozen, with the only means of
recovery being the "force quit" button of the Gnome desktop.  I tend
to have a half-dozen or more browser windows or tabs open
simultaneously, so a less aggressive user might not be bothered.

RLH