[pm-h] How to update @INC from within a script?

Jay Vogt jvogt at houston.oilfield.slb.com
Tue Dec 6 16:23:21 PST 2005

All,

Thanks for the suggestions. Error came from a mistaken belief
that the BEGIN statement would be executed first regardless of
its position in the script. All worked fine once I move the BEGIN
block to the very beginning of the script as Kristofer indicated.
Not sure where I go the notion that BEGIN statement did not have
to be at the start of the script.

Wade - the reason for the perl with non-existent directories for @INC
is because it is sent to clients who can install in any directory they
want. I don't suppose that @INC can point to directories with
relative paths or variables in them.

Thanks,

Jay Vogt

Kristofer Hoch wrote:

> Jay,
>   Try this at the very top of your script
>
> #!/path/to/perl
> BEGIN { push(@INC, '/path/to/DBI/directory'); }
>

> Jay Vogt <jvogt at houston.oilfield.slb.com> wrote:
>
>     All,
>
>     When I point to a particular Perl executable the @INC array
>     points to non-existent directories. I've tried to update @INC
>     within my script to point to the directories which do contain DBI
>     using the unshift technique found in the O'Reilly books (whether
>     in a BEGIN statement or elsewhere in the script before
>     I execute "use DBI"). Printing the contents of @INC (by commenting
>     out "use DBI") shows that the array is modified, but when including
>     "use DBI" I get an error that DBI.pm is not in @INC and it lists
>     only those non-existent directories.
>
>     The "use DBI" statement seems to be processed a t script compilation
>     time and not following the BEGIN block. The only way my script
>     sees the DBI module is if I set the environment variable PERL5LIB
>     in an xterm before running the script. Setting $ENV{PERL5LIB}
>     within my script does not work.
>
>     Any suggestions on how to modify @INC from within a script
>     so that it is actually read?
>
>     Thanks,
>
>     Jay Vogt

Jay Vogt    Schlumberger Information Solutions    GeoFrame Portfolio
Product Champion   713 513 2335   Houston, TX