[pm-h] Another idea for the group

G. Wade Johnson gwadej at anomaly.org
Thu Aug 18 19:28:10 PDT 2005

I was thinking about projects for the group today and thought of something
else that the group might be interested in.

A few months ago, I stumbled across the concept of "Code Katas" on Pragmatic
Dave's weblog. A Code Kata is a programming exercise with the sole purpose of
improving your skills. This is not necessarily a program you write for a
project, it's just practice code.
(http://blogs.pragprog.com/cgi-bin/pragdave.cgi/Practices/CodeKata.rdoc)

On Perl.com, I've seen three Perl Code Katas:
* Perl Code Kata: Mocking Objects
  (http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/04/07/mockobject_kata.html)
* Perl Code Kata: Testing Databases
  (http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2005/02/10/database_kata.html)
* Perl Code Kata: Testing Taint
  (http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2004/10/21/taint_testing_kata.html)

We could start our own list of Katas and practice with them. We could post
various solutions to the list and discuss what we like and dislike about
them.

We could archive the problems and particularly interesting approaches on the
web site for other people to use.

Any thoughts?

Don't kill him!! If you kill him, he won't learn nothin'!
                                    -- The Riddler, "Batman Forever"