[HoustonTx.pm] Interactive Perl trick

houston at mail.pm.org houston at mail.pm.org
Tue Aug 12 19:27:43 CDT 2003

I had to solve a problem very quickly this morning and used a trick
that I've found handy many times in the past. Some of you may find
it interesting.

  perl -de0

This executes the script '0' in the perl debugger. By itself, that's
not real exciting, but it leaves you in an environment where you can
execute Perl code interactively.

A 'q' by itself will exit the debugger. The debugger is actually
good for other things, but over the years I've most often used it
this way.

"Mister Garibaldi, there're days I'm very glad I don't have to think like
you do."                       -- Ivanova, "And the Sky Full of Stars"