[hbpm] hello from the shadows

Daniel Hopkirk hoppers99 at maxnet.co.nz
Fri Feb 28 15:13:59 CST 2003

Nice one Rene.

My name is Daniel and I am the Admin/Webmaster for this list and the HBPM site. Other than you and I, there are two other subscribers at the moment. I am sure they will introduce themselves.

As for the site, it gets updated when I can. So far on the next minor update I plan to add a link to your HBLUG site, aswell as the Oakland PM site (You will understand the choice eventually)

Shell programming is very similar to Perl scripting. The difference is that one is being executed by the shell, the other by Perl (I know... DUH!). But this effects the commands that you can call. And means that you can use the Perl scripts on any platform with Perl installed (With the right tweaking occasionally), and are not limited to a *nix OS. In saying that, I hate Windows! so Linux is my OS of choice. Also, Perl is one of the most widely used languages for CGI scripting, and that is currently my main use of it.

Anyway, thanks for joining us. I look forward to sharing our knowledge with you and visa-versa.

Regards,
Daniel Hopkirk
http://hawkesbay.pm.org
ICQ#:39905948