[Hartford-pm] External setup file in Perl

Eric Williams wilersh at mac.com
Tue May 25 15:28:26 CDT 2004

Hey guys,

This is probably simple but by Java'fied brain is having a hard time
remembering Perl these days.

I want to have a file external to my code file that sets up a hash. I
want to include that file so that I can edit the hash external to the
code, but include references to its keys and values in my code. Part of
the reason is that I am using usernames and passwords in my code and I
am co-editing it over the internet with another person. He doesn't need
to see the values of my username and password in the code but we do
need to be able to refer to them while editing.

This would be similar to 'include' in php, where one might make a file
that contains database username and passwords and uses the include
statement in php to pull them into your website code.

I tried using require in Perl but I can't figure out how to pull the
hash into the running code.

Hope this makes some sense. Thanks.

----
Eric Williams
Systems and Facilities Manager
Van Vleck Observatory - Wesleyan University
860 685 3664
AIM: radvelman
http://www.astro.wesleyan.edu/~eric