[grand-rapids-pm-list] Environment Variables and/or Properties

mheusser at charter.net mheusser at charter.net
Tue Jul 24 06:55:37 PDT 2007

Sean covered it pretty well for our current company.  I believe there is a config file hidden somewhere that stores the passwords in some encrypted format.

So, from the dev to test to prod, the perl code is the same, but the password file is different.  Thus, even if developers hack the config file, all they get in dev and test are the dev and test pwds.  (Not that we would ever do that, Tim)

We also have a way of connecting to the appropriate db.  For example, you have the same dbname in dev, test, and prod.  Or you could just connect directly to the 'real' dev db.  This can be helpful when you are developing in test or testing in dev - and yes, we do that on occasion.    For example, if a project is in the dev phase, and the dev db goes down for two days for a refresh, and we don't want to stop working.

But that's just me talking.

Hey, I'm curious - is anybody on this list from Luddington or Traverse City?

--heusser