[grand-rapids-pm-list] New to the group

mheusser at charter.net mheusser at charter.net
Thu Jul 27 05:40:01 PDT 2006

>Burn's Hog Weighing Method:
>       (1) Get a perfectly symmetrical plank and balance it across a sawhorse.
>        (2) Put the hog on one end of the plank.
>        (3) Pile rocks on the other end until the plank is again perfectly
>            balanced.
>        (4) Carefully guess the weight of the rocks.
>                -- Robert Burns

haha.

There's actually a software estimation method called COCOMO that is very similar.

Basically, it says that the effort of developing the software is predictable based on the number of lines of code.  Take the # of lines of code, plug in a formula, and out pops your person-months.

This was a cutting-edge estimation technique in the 1980's. I've heard of people who have actually claimed to have tried to use it. :-)

The only problem is: How do you estimate the number of lines of code? :-)

Regards,

--heusser