[grand-rapids-pm-list] Perl 5.005_03 64-bit Compile

Jacob.Roersma@priority-health.com Jacob.Roersma at priority-health.com
Thu Jul 14 08:23:48 PDT 2005

Yep, I gave the PR to Aaron last week.

- jake

________________________________

From: grand-rapids-pm-list-bounces at pm.org
[mailto:grand-rapids-pm-list-bounces at pm.org] On Behalf Of Sroka, Scot
Sent: Thursday, July 14, 2005 10:41 AM
To: grand-rapids-pm-list at pm.org
Subject: [grand-rapids-pm-list] Perl 5.005_03 64-bit Compile

Hello!

I need to compile a 64-bit perl 5.005_03 on HP-UX 11.11, PA-RISC 2.0.
Seems that perl versions following 5.005_03 have severe performance
problems with certain types of regular expressions. (See
http://rt.perl.org/rt3/Ticket/Display.html?id=24936) My company has
tripped upon this issue and most of our scripts run at least twice as
long. I have a 32-bit version of 5.005_03, but need a 64-bit version
because the scripts are also hitting memory limits. I followed the
README.hpux file with no luck and even tried using the compile options
from the 64-bit 5.8.3 provided by HP (which in turn is provided by
ActiveState). Things go along just fine for a while during the make
until I get the following error:

    cc  -L/lib/pa20_64 -o miniperl miniperlmain.o libperl.a -lcres -lnsl
-lnm -ldl -ldld -lm -lsec -lc

/usr/ccs/bin/ld: miniperlmain.o: Mismatched ABI. 64-bit PA object file
found in 32-bit link.

*** Error exit code 1

Stop.

At this point I'm pretty lost. I know how to spell "make", and that's
about it. Has anybody successfully compiled a 64-bit 5.005_03? Any
recommendations?

Thanks for your help.

Scot Sroka

** ** **  PRIVILEGED AND CONFIDENTIAL  ** ** **
This email transmission contains privileged and confidential information
intended only for the use of the individual or entity named above.  Any
unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited and
may be a violation of law.  If you are not the intended recipient or a
person responsible for delivering this message to an intended recipient,
please delete the email and immediately notify the sender via the email
return address or mailto:postmaster at priority-health.com.  Thank you.

- end -