[grand-rapids-pm-list] Higher Order Perl - Has anyone read it yet?

Matt Diephouse matt at diephouse.com
Fri Apr 15 12:47:17 PDT 2005

Joe Wright wrote:
> This morning I read The Perl Review's interview with Mark Jason
> Dominus
> (http://www.theperlreview.com/Interviews/mjd-hop-20050407.html?up)
> about his new book "Higher Order Perl" (http://perl.plover.com/hop).
> Just the other day I was wishing that I could use Perl to do closures,
> and that turns out to be one of the things described in the book.  Has
> anyone read "Higher Order Perl" yet?  Is it worthwhile?  I'll probably
> ask my manager to expense it for me but wonder if anyone has a feel
> for it yet.

I haven't read "Higher Order Perl" yet, but I look forward to doing so.
MJD (as he is known) is an active member of the perl community[1] and a
Smart Guy™[2]. I'm sure the book will be worthwhile. If you're not
hesitant, you can wait until he posts the book on his website[3], but
that might be a little while yet.

In the meantime, you might check out:

   - "Achieving Closure":
http://www.perl.com/pub/a/2002/05/29/closure.html
      A tutorial about closures in Perl.

   - "Closure on Closures": http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=268891
      Another tutorial about closures in Perl.

   - "May Thy Closures Be Blessed":
http://perlmonks.org/index.pl?node_id=348189
      An interesting use of closures to do some OO programming.

Hope this helps,

--
matt diephouse
http://matt.diephouse.com

[1] MJD is actually a part of the "Perl Cabal" -- the head honchos of
the Perl community. These are the folks who are designing Perl 6.  You
can see his cabal character card at
<http://www.perlcabal.com/mjd.html>.

[2] This is actually a prerequisite for [1], but is worth stating. You
can articles, modules, and talks that he's written at his website:
<http://perl.plover.com/>.

[3] As part of his contract, he can distribute the complete text on his
website: <http://perl.plover.com/hop/#free>.