Linux migration

Bill Day williamday at email.com
Thu Nov 13 12:19:27 CST 2003

I have a couple of data points. Not really technical, more in the "Linux for suits" category.

[Data Point 1]

About 6 weeks ago I attended an HP/Redhat/Oracle vendor presentation. There were about 15 attendees. The Redhat guy
was a no-show. This forced the HP guy to talk about twice as long as he was prepared to about HP CPUs. The highlight
was the Oracle guy demonstrating their failover technolgy. I cannot describe how mind numbingly boring the HP
presentation was.

This morning I attended an IBM/Novell/Xiamian vendor presentation. Wow! What a difference. I estimate 150-200
attendees. Novell ran the show. They couldn't talk too much about SuSE because the merger isn't finalized. The Novell guy
stressed Novell Enterprise services running on Linux. The Xiamian guy stressed the Enterprise client. The IBM guy... well
we only had to listen to him for about 1/2 hour. My point is that these guys get it, they spent most of their time talking
about the data center/network not about boxes. Novell on the Enterprise server, SuSE/Xiamian on the Enterprise client.

[Data Point 2]

Other than an early installation of Caldera, I've alway run Redhat as my Linux client. Last week I was at CompUSA, and
scored a freebee SuSE 8.2 professional. Having experienced a recent disk crash, I decided it might be beneficial to install
SuSE before attending today's presentation. I have more Linux experience than the last time I installed Redhat, so maybe
this isn't fair, but the install seemed to be much easier. Chose a client install, the installer made some intelligent choices,
and it installed. Redhat (maybe it was me) seemed to give me more choices, which made the install more difficult. I've got
very little time on SuSE, so the insall is my only experience.

The point of these stories is that Novell/SuSE/Xiamian appears poised to capture the enterprise market. This will fuel
funding, which in my opinion will make them a long term winner. Steve, I know enterprise computing isn't your application,
but going with the winner is always a good idea.