Databases

matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com
Thu Sep 20 09:48:43 CDT 2001

>our databases contain data for websites

That's what I was trying to get at.  If you use the
web to transmit data, hurrah for you.  You can use
any of a wide selection of databases to store
information.

But, what if you have to transmit > 500MB per user,
and the data changes monthly?  What if more than 50%
of your customer base has a 56K modem or slower?
25% of your customers don't even have a web connection?

Well ... then a desktop application might make more
sense than a web-based app.

So, if you're shipping a desktop application, then
you probably want a database to store the data ...
and you begin to run into issues of size/price/speed.

And my previous emails, hopefully, begin to make
sense.

Make more sense?  See why 1 database per customer
is a bigger deal than 1 database at all?

Matt H.