FW: Newsletter #9 from O'Reilly UG Program

Joel Meulenberg joelmeulenberg at yahoo.com
Wed Sep 19 23:41:00 CDT 2001

> We use XSL to transform XML into HTML.  (We use it
> as a transformation language.)  In other words,
> we use it XSL like a transformer to turn an entry into
> a XML database into a web page with the correct
> formatting, links, etc.
>
> I hope that makes sense.

I think so, but I'm curious about more details.
What do you mean by an "XML database"?
Is that a relational database in which some of the values happen to be
snippets of XML?

Do you use XSLT to transform the XML into anything besides HTML?

Is your XML more of a document or is it more like a data file?

If it's more like a data file, then I'm curious about your
opinions/experiences with storing the data in independent hierarchical
data structures (i.e.- the XML documents) in contrast to storing data
in relations (tables) in a DBMS?  (Not that any of today's SQL DBMSs
actually implement the relational model of data, but they're the
closest thing to it.)

TIA.

+Joel

=====
"Men never do evil so completely and cheerfully as when they do it from religious conviction." - Blaise Pascal