Lies, Damned Lies, and ... Statistics

matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com
Mon Oct 1 06:47:43 CDT 2001

(Sorry about the Subject, but I wanted people to read this :-)

Folks:

  As some of you know, I'm currently taking a grad class in Software
Development Management where we have to create and support a
project plan for a database-driven inventory control system.

  At Friday's meeting, I requested some statistics on transactions
per second, uptime, scalability, security, etc. for open-source (and
even closed-source) databases.   A few folks said they would get
details to me.  (Personal experience is good, URLS are better.)

  If you could email me details ASAP (within a couplea days), I would
personally appreciate it.  Even "Our shop does roughly XXY on a
ZZZ-box, I'll get more solid details later" is a good start so I can pencil
you into the document, to be penned later.

  For those not at the meeting, please feel free to chime in.  My goal
is to find a few options of SQL databases that (preferably) support
stored procedures, transactions, and fast backup.

 Good details = Free Soda [12-oz] or something ...

  thanks in advance,

Matt Heusser