Perlbots Presentation

Joel Meulenberg joelmeulenberg at yahoo.com
Thu Mar 29 02:18:55 CST 2001

I wanted set some expectations about the Perlbots presentation on
Friday.  Until about an hour ago, I'd been spending all of my Perlbots
development time struggling with silly plumbing/networking and
threading issues.  I've managed to bash thru the wall I was up against
by hacking up the Net::Daemon and RPC::PlServer modules to support a
new *multiplexed* mode (i.e.- the server serves multiple clients but
from a single process).  Previously, the only choices were:

1. a forking server  -  can't work cuz I need to the gamestate data
structures to be shared

2. a threaded server  -  ugh, I might have just managed to build a
working threaded Perl on my newly rebuilt RedHat 7.0 system, but it'll
take some experimentation  -  regardless, this isn't portable, so I
guess a multiplexing, single-process server is preferable for now
anyway.

3. a single process (serving only a single client at a time) server -
not too much fun for anyone, including the lonely bot in the arena.

So, I'm not sure how visually demo-able the game itself will be by
Friday, but I can certainly explain some of the foundational pieces
(which are really the practical part of all this anyway (just found a
practical application of this research earlier today in fact)).

+Joel