I think I finally have it figured out

Steve Lane sml at zfx.com
Tue Aug 7 07:58:18 CDT 2001

matthew_heusser at mcgraw-hill.com wrote:
> For years, I've been working on being 'buzzword compliant.'
>
> I've worked on projects in DHTML before DHTML was cool;
> XML before XML was cool; took a risk on a dotCom (oops),
> studied Rapid Application Development, n-tier applications
> (and componentized development) - earned a graduate
> certificate in distributing computing before Peer-To-Peer
> was cool.
[...]
> I'm no genius, but I think i've begun to figure out the game.  Anyone else
> have an idea on how to stop the buzzword merry-go-round?  (That should
> be the title for this collumn "Stop the career buzzword merry-go-round, I
> just want to do my job and do it well  ...")

it looks like a self-imposed obsession to me.
just stop all this effort on "working on being
'buzzword compliant'", and you'll stop your
"merry-go-round".  it's really that simple.

> I finally decided to draw the line at wireless.  WAP and WML are
> _annoying_ technologies that won't work.  The Verzion Wireless
> Web is ALL hype and no substance.  Show me someone that
> actually claims Verizon Wireless is bottom-line useful, and I'll
> show you a liar.

ok.  Verizon Wireless is bottom-line useful.  i've gotten
paid a reasonable amount of money for developing a few
small apps for Verizons over the last few months.
the clients love the apps, and this is translating into
more work.

how exactly does this make me a liar?
--
Steve Lane <sml at zfx.com>