[grand-rapids-pm-announce] Lightning Talks and Competition FRIDAY, DECEMBER 3!

Matt Hahnfeld matth at everysoft.com
Fri Nov 5 19:38:01 CST 2004

Hi all!

Because of Thanksgiving and Christmas, we'll be holding November's Perl
Mongers Meeting a week late -- or December's Perl Mongers meeting a few
weeks early.  However you want to look at it, the next Perl Mongers
meeting will be FRIDAY, DECEMBER 3.  We'll meet at 11:30am at Priority
Health (1239 E. Beltline NE in Grand Rapids).  There WILL be signs posted
to point you to the right place.

Now for the twist!  The next meeting will have two parts.  The first 30
minutes of the meeting will consist of lightning talks presented by Perl
Mongers members.  Lightning talks are 5-10 minute presentations on
interesting Perl topics.  If you're interested in presenting a lightning
talk, please let Al Tobey or me know before the next meeting (my e-mail
address should be at the top of this e-mail).

The second half of the meeting will be a competition.  Everyone will
split into 2-3 person teams (hopefully joining stronger coders with those
who might not know Perl as well).  Then all of the teams will be given a
problem to solve.  After about 30 minutes, we'll join back together and
rate each team's Perl code on speed, elegance, and creativity.  There
will be prizes!

You don't need to be a Perl wizard to participate in the competition, and
everyone is encouraged to join in the fun.  You don't even need to know
Perl!  This isn't anything formal -- just good entertainment.  Please
bring a laptop computer if you have one.  If you don't have a computer
that's fine too -- we'll have plenty available.

Oh yeah, and we'll order lunch for those who are interested.

Hope to see you there!

Matt Hahnfeld
President, Grand Rapids Perl Mongers