FW: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, January 17

Brandon Gohsman brandon at squareonedesign.com
Mon Jan 21 09:31:22 CST 2002

Brandon Gohsman
Square One Design
560 5th Street NW, Suite 301
Grand Rapids, MI 49504

T 616.774.9048
F 616.774.8003
E brandon at squareonedesign.com
W http://www.squareonedesign.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: Denise Olliffe [mailto:deniseo at oreilly.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 17, 2002 2:57 PM
To: brandon at squareonedesign.com
Subject: Newsletter from O'Reilly UG Program, January 17

NEWSLETTER
O'Reilly User Group Program
January 17, 2002

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK
BOOKS:
 - Mastering Perl TK -- New!
NEWS:
 - An Interview with Brian McConnell
 - O'Reilly Teams Up with FOSDEM
 - Does Publicly Funded Research Have to Result in Open Source Code?
 - Is Jabber's Chatbot the Command Line of the Future?
 - Web Services Acronyms, Demystified
 - Six Things a SysAdmin Should Know About XP
CONFERENCES:
 - Help O'Reilly, Get Free Stuff

BOOK NEWS

REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE, email me for a copy.
Press Releases available at: http://press.oreilly.com/

NEW TO THE O'REILLY BOOKSHELF:
---------------------------------

MASTERING PERL TK
Order Number: 7168
The first half of "Mastering Perl TK" contains the basics on how to
use Perl/Tk, and then branches out into advanced applications,
including extensive program examples. This book is for novices and
experienced Perl/Tk programmers alike.
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/mastperltk/

ATTENTION:
Review copy requests ARE being sent, however they may take longer than
usual. PLEASE BE PATIENT. Due to the past holiday, our warehouse is
busier than usual, and I am more behind (than usual)!

REMINDER:
Reviews are important to us. If we send a free review copy, please be
sure to have the book reviewed by a group member. Once written, send
me a copy. Thanks.

TOP FIVE SELLING O'REILLY TITLES FOR 2001:
 - Programming Perl, 3rd Edition
 - XML in a Nutshell
 - Learning XML
 - DNS & BIND, 4th Edition
 - Java in a Nutshell, 3rd Edition
Let me know if you'd like to review one of these titles

NEWS FROM O'REILLY & BEYOND

Spread the word to your members....

GENERAL INTEREST
------------------

AN INTERVIEW WITH BRIAN MCCONNELL
Space.com talks with Brian about the SETI project and the future of
space exploration. Brian's book, "Beyond Contact: A Guide to SETI for
its ongoing series, "The Space Library."
http://www.space.com//spacelibrary/books/library_mcconnell_020111.html

OPEN SOURCE
------------------

O'REILLY TEAMS UP WITH FOSDEM
to organize the Free and Open Source Software Developers' European
Meeting (FOSDEM), February 16-17, 2002 in Brussels. Speakers include DJ
Adams, Ian Clarke, Philip Hazel, Miguel de Icaza, Richard M. Stallman,
and many others. Also in February, O'Reilly will release a new book on
Richard Stallman and the Free Software Foundation, "Free as in
Freedom." http://www.fosdem.org/

DOES PUBLICLY FUNDED RESEARCH HAVE TO RESULT IN OPEN SOURCE CODE?
Read two opposing viewpoints on whether all software created by
publicly funded research should be licensed as open source. For further
discussion on this issue, don't miss the upcoming O'Reilly
Bioinformatics Technology Conference.
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/network/2002/01/12/openinf.html

PEER TO PEER
------------------

IS JABBER'S CHATBOT THE COMMAND LINE OF THE FUTURE?
Here's an introduction to bots--with particular attention paid to
ChatBot, a favorite in the Jabber community--by DJ Adams, the author of
O'Reilly's recently released "Programming Jabber."
http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2002/01/11/jabber_bots.html

WEB
------------------

WEB SERVICES ACRONYMS, DEMYSTIFIED
Here is a guide to the protocols and specifications behind more than 20
Web services acronyms, by Pavel Kulchenko, coauthor of "Programming Web
Services with SOAP." http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/01/09/soap.html

WINDOWS XP
------------------

SIX THINGS A SYSADMIN SHOULD KNOW ABOUT XP
Here's a list of the most important elements of Windows XP to keep in
mind when making the migration from earlier versions of Windows:
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2002/01/10/xp.html

O'REILLY CONFERENCES

O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference
Westin Santa Clara & Santa Clara Convention Center
May 13-16, 2002, Santa Clara, CA
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etcon2002/

The O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference is more than a showcase of
vendors and technologies. You'll enter a mix of the most innovative
technologists, programmers, business developers and policy-makers,
becoming part of a conversation that explores and invents this growing
realm. Through sessions, Birds of a Feather meetings, hallway
conversations, and chance encounters, you'll become involved in the
creation of this new network.  You'll also test drive the latest
products and services from over 50 sponsors and exhibitors, and meet
the professionals behind these new technologies.

Keynote Speakers
--Adam Bosworth, vice president of engineering, BEA Systems, Inc.
--Steven Johnson, co-founder, Feed; Author, "Emergence" and "Interface
  Culture"
--Dr. Robert Morris, director, IBM Almaden Research Center
--Tim O'Reilly, founder & president, O'Reilly & Associates
--Dr. Richard F. Rashid, senior vice president of research, Microsoft

User group discount is 20% for conferences. Use the discount code:
DSUG. Register before March 22nd, and receive a double discount! Your
20% will apply towards already reduced "Early Bird" pricing if you
register early.

HELP O'REILLY CONFERENCES, GET FREE STUFF

Yes, there's nothing like a good, old-fashioned bribe, and I'd like to
send one your way....

Post an O'Reilly Emerging Technology Conference banner on your UG web
site and I'll send you something in return (book, T-shirt or other
swag, you pick.) Just let me know when it's been posted.

Banners can be found at:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/pub/w/18/banner_ads.html
Have the banner link to:
http://conferences.oreillynet.com/etcon2002/

ANNOUNCEMENTS FROM YOUR PEERS

BELLEVUE, WA:

NorthWest Oracle Users Group  (NWOUG)
Winter Conference and Seminars
February 4-5, 2002
Meydenbauer Conventon Center
Bellevue, Washington
For complete conference agenda and registration information, see:
http://www.nwoug.com/conferences/feb2002.htm
Registration is now open
Lunch is provided both days

If your group has an event you'd like me to post, let me know.

Until next week,

--Denise