I'm Really Not Qualified

Albert P Tobey albert.tobey at priority-health.com
Mon Nov 5 12:23:43 CST 2001

As usual, I'd like to point you to one or two open source options for
this project, since we all know that if you deploy exchange, you'll
never be able to get rid of it.  Trust me.

http://www.phpgroupware.org/index.php

You mentioned PHP, right?  Well, here's a PHP tool.  It doesn't have a
PDA syncronization app, but I think I saw that it does iCal, so that
might be enough.  (you can import iCal into most desktop PIM apps).
Also, a search on www.freshmeat.net will show a few addon modules for
this package, indicating at least some degree of extensibility.

http://www.tutos.org/homepage/index.html

Another one.

Searching freshmeat shows quite a few, these two are just a couple of
the more advanced OSS products.  Some of the closed applications look
nice, too.  I'm not sure, but last I checked, Netscape had a nice
application for groupware based on their directory server.

http://www.bynari.net/

A company creating an Exchange/Outlook competitive product that likely
costs less, but doesn't run on Windows.  Darn.

Just my obligatory OSS/Anti M$ plug.

-Al Tobey

On Mon, 2001-11-05 at 13:50, Brandon Gohsman wrote:
> Hey everyone,
>
> This is not Perl related so feel free to bail at this point.
>
> Still here? Cool. I have undertaken a fairly large project for my
> company (because no one else here wants it) for which I am really not
> qualified. For lack of a better term, I am setting up a sort of
> groupware for our company of 13 employees. There will be no chat clients
> or crap like that. The primary function of this will be a better
> calendar/scheduling system than we are currently using with more robust
> project scheduling tools.
>
> Back Story:
> To date, we have been using FileMaker Pro for anything and everything
> that is database related. We do time tracking, estimates, correspondence
> and scheduling in it. Our environment consists primarily of Macs (since
> we are a graphic design house) and a handful of PC's. So far, FileMaker
> has allowed us to do what we needed to do and do it across the two
> platforms and do it inexpensively. But we now want it to do much more
> and it simply isn't capable of keeping up.
>
> My company does print design as well as web/interactive design. Print
> design is much more scheduling intensive due to the various stages of
> production. A typical print job includes loose color proofing, film,
> plating and offset printing. It may also include embossing, folding and
> assembly, etc. A different vendor may be responsible for each stage of
> production. You can see how a simple letterhead/business card project
> can quickly become a management nightmare if you aren't on your toes.
>
> Part of the problem with all of this production craziness is that our
> production manager and project leads are running all over the place as
> details and problems are developing in their jobs. We all have cell
> phones and PDAs but they are pretty useless at the moment because they
> don't link up to our data. FileMaker has one tool called FileMaker
> Mobile for getting FileMaker data onto a handheld, but it does not
> support multi-user databases and several other features. Basically, it
> is useless to us.
>
> So, one of the solutions we looked at was Microsoft's Exchange Server.
> It will do about 80% of what we want right out of the box, which leaves
> me either having to write the other 20% and find a way to glue it to
> Exchange, or just start at ground zero and build our own solution from
> the ground up. So here is where I am at the moment:
>
> I am planning to install Microsoft's Small Business Server suite, which
> includes Exchange, SQL, etc. This instantly gets me syncability with
> handheld devices through Outlook (as well as cross-platform support) and
> covers the majority of the functionality we need. The one major thing
> that Exchange doesn't do (at least not out of the box) is robustly
> handle project scheduling in a way that is useful to us (job numbers,
> people involved on a project, shifting an entire schedule ahead a week,
> [...]

to whom they are addressed.  If you have received this
email in error please notify the Priority Health Information
Services Department at (616) 942-0954.