FW: O'Reilly UG Program Newsletter #3

Brandon Gohsman brandon at squareonedesign.com
Fri Jul 20 10:28:58 CDT 2001

-----Original Message-----
From: Denise Olliffe [mailto:deniseo at oreilly.com]
Sent: Thursday, July 19, 2001 6:05 PM
To: brandon at squareonedesign.com
Subject: O'Reilly UG Program Newsletter #3

O'Reilly User Group Program
NEWSLETTER
Volume 1, #3
http://www.oreilly.com/

HIGHLIGHTS THIS WEEK...
Books:
 - 3 new titles
 - Book reviews
News:
 - Microsoft withdrawals Java support--what's your opinion?
 - Don't Learn XML
 - .NET Article: Embracing the Web: Part 2
 - Using XML to Configure Groove
 - Professional Paranoia: Secrets of Security Experts
 - Stings in Cocoa, Part 2
 - Interview with author of "Dreamweaver 4: The Missing Manual"
 - Use P2P, Go to Jail. Any questions?

****************************
NEWS from O'Reilly & Beyond
****************************
I would be grateful if you would pass on the info that your members
will find interesting...

GENERAL INTEREST:
-----------------
Microsoft withdrawals Java support, what's your opinion?
Reports that Microsoft won't include Java Virtual Machine code with
Windows XP are a blow to developers and users who rely on Java. Clay
Shirky and O'Reilly & Associates call on PC manufacturers to install
the most recent version of the JVM on their Windows machines. Read why,
and add your name to our appeal:
http://www.oreilly.com/news/jvm_0701.html

Safari, O'Reilly's online technical books service, is fast and
powerful. Safari searches the full text of all available books to hunt
down exactly what you need, when you need it. You choose the
subscription level, starting at $9.95 for 5 books.  Read, annotate,
bookmark, save searches, view recently accessed text, and add or swap
books. Great for students. Go on Safari at:
http://safari2.oreilly.com/tablhom.asp?home

O'Reilly's clever editor-in-chief, Frank Willison has lots to say. Read
his witty quips at: http://www.oreilly.com/frank/

APPLE/MAC:
----------
Stings in Cocoa, Part 2
Mike Beam--author of several O'Reilly Network articles, discusses
Cocoa's string-handling ability:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/07/13/cocoa.html

For a glimpse at part 1, go to:
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/mac/2001/06/29/cocoa.html

JAVA:
-----
See first article in the "General Interest" section

OPEN SOURCE:
------------
The O'Reilly Open Source Convention, and Perl Conference 5 are
starting next week:
July 23-27, 2001
Sheraton San Diego Hotel, San Diego, CA
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

PEER-TO-PEER:
-------------
Amazon's Interview on P2P with Andy Oram:
O'Reilly author and editor Andy Oram discusses popular peer-to-peer
projects, micropayments, and the most successful P2P network in human
history--the public telephone network. Keep in the loop of P2P
developments at this September's O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services
Conference.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/feature/-/167528/t/102-8302471-7634507

Use P2P, Go to Jail. Any questions?
http://www.openp2p.com/pub/a/p2p/2001/07/10/mcowen.html

SECURITY:
---------
Author Michael Lucas gives practical advice on how programmers, network
administrators, or even help desk staff can be more
security-conscious: Professional Paranoia: Secrets of Security Experts
http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/onlamp/2001/07/12/prof_paranoia.html

WEB:
----
Don't Learn XML!
If you are an author of structured documents, and not a developer,
Michael Smith says don't get sucked into the complexities of XML and
its many related technologies. He recommends, instead, an alternate
course of study in this xml.oreilly.com article:
Take my advice: Don't Learn XML
http://xml.oreilly.com/news/dontlearn_0701.html

In this XML.com article, Brian Buehling investigates how XML is used to
support the creation of custom applications which could lead to broad
acceptance of Groove:  Using XML to Configure Groove
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2001/07/11/groove.html

"Dreamweaver 4: the Missing Manual" author David McFarland, talks about
the most valuable and least understood Dreamweaver features in this
oreilly.com article:  http://web.oreilly.com/news/dreamweaver_0701.html

MICROSOFT/.NET:
---------------
Embracing the Web: Part 2:
This second of oreilly.com's three-part series examines the concepts
behind Microsoft's .NET platform. Part 2 reviews componentization and
enterprise services, two of the most important concepts for software
integration and large-scale systems.
http://dotnet.oreilly.com/news/netframework2_0701.html

Part 1 can be seen at:
http://dotnet.oreilly.com/news/netframework1_0701.html

WIRELESS:
---------
The low-down from the MP3 Summit, and MP3.com's mobile strategy through
the eyes of David Sims, editorial director of the O'Reilly Network:
MP3 Summit Report: Going Mobile
http://www.oreillynet.com/pub/a/wireless/2001/07/13/mp3.html

BOOKS hot off the press--REVIEW COPIES AVAILABLE
Please email me to request review copies.
Click on either link for book details--the press announcement is the
top link--feel free to use the release as you see fit. For UPCOMING
titles, go to: http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/new.html

Dreamweaver 4: The Missing Manual
http://press.oreilly.com/dreamweavermm.html
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/dreamweavermm/

Exim: The Mail Transfer Agent
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/exim/

Managing NFS and NIS, 2nd Edition
http://press.oreilly.com/nfs2.html
http://www.oreilly.com/catalog/nfs2/

BOOK REVIEWS online:
--------------------
Thanks to all UGs that review our books, and post reviews online or in
monthly newsletters--we appreciate it. Here are a few:

"Python Standard Library" reviewed by Phil Hughes of LinuxJournal:
http://www2.linuxjournal.com/articles/linux_review/0047.html

CherryMUG reviews "iMovie 2: The Missing Manual":
http://www.cherrymug.com/
(several other O'Reilly titles also reviewed at this site)

Rochester, NY Perl Mongers reviews "Programming Perl, 3rd Edition" and
"CGI Programming with Perl, 2nd Edition":
http://rochester.pm.org/reviews/programming_perl3.html

REMINDER to pass reviews on to me after they're written.

******************************
ANNOUNCEMENTS from your peers
******************************
If your UG has an announcement that you'd like my help communicating to
other groups, let me know. I'm happy to include the info in an upcoming
newsletter. Please include complete contact info for your group.

HAMPTON ROADS, VA:
------------------
The Hampton Roads Oracle Users Group (HROUG) will be hosting its next
quarterly meeting at the Virginia Beach Public Central Library on
August 21st, from 9AM till 12AM. Topics will include JAVA and Oracle
Portal. The meeting is open to all interested persons.

*************************
UPCOMING O'Reilly events
*************************
Enter your group to win a pass to the O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web
Services Conference. Email me for further details, if you didn't
receive my email notice. Deadline for entries is July 31st, 2001. The
winner will be annouced August 1st.

NEXT WEEK!!!
------------

San Diego, CA:
O'Reilly Open Source Convention
July 23-27, 2001
Sheraton San Diego Hotel
http://conferences.oreilly.com/oscon/

Atlanta, GA:
Don't miss author Hans Bergsten's
(JavaServer Pages) presentation at the
Georgia Web Developers Conference, July 25th.
http://www.tagonline.org/gwdc/

AUGUST:
-------
San Francisco, CA:
Visit the O'Reilly booth at LinuxWorld
August 28-30
Moscone Center, Booth #1747
http://www.linuxworldexpo.com/

SEPTEMBER:
----------
Washington, D.C:
O'Reilly Peer-to-Peer and Web Services Conference
September 18-21, 2001
Omni Shoreham Hotel
Early Bird Registration ends August 17th
http://conferences.oreilly.com/p2p/

COMING IN 2002:
---------------
Tucson, AZ:
O'Reilly Bioinformatics Technology conference
January 28-31, 2002
http://conferences.oreilly.com/biocon/cfp.html

UG Discount information for conferences:
O'Reilly offers 20% discount to UG members on all conference and
tutorial fees. Use the DSUG discount code. If registering online, enter
the code where it says "If you received a discount code, enter it
here." Register before the "Early Bird" discounts end, and you'll save
20% on already discounted "Early Bird" prices.

For more O'Reilly event information, go to:
http://events.oreilly.com/

Until next week,
Denise