May's Grand Rapids Perl Mongers Meeting *Cancelled*

Joel Meulenberg joelmeulenberg at yahoo.com
Thu May 25 10:35:59 CDT 2000

Well, it seems that everyone is really busy this spring.  I just
learned that due to scheduling issues the presentation initially
planned for Friday won't be happening.  (I'd been waiting on sending
out the meeting announcement until I got a confirmation.)

Rather than scramble to pull together a presenter/presentation for this
holiday-weekend Friday, it seemed better to just skip this meeting and
promise that there will definitely be a meeting on June 30th.  The
presentation topic for next month will be announced on this list soon.

In lieu of this month's meeting, I'll give you an SNL "Coffee Talk"
sort of topic:

The nifty, new MP3::Napster Perl module by Lincoln Stein - is Lincoln
or anyone who contributes to such open source software potentially
exposing themselves legal attacks?  (Think of recent events surrounding
DeCSS.)  Would you contribute to it?  Why or why not?
And how do you feel about the whole Napster thing?

(Personally, I'm hoping that the whole Napster thing brings about a
revolution in the way music is distributed/sold.  I don't want artists
to starve.  In fact, thru disintermediation (of the RIAA), I hope
artists receive even more proceeds from sales of their music.  Out of
this revolution I'd like to see:

- try before you buy

- nearly-instantaneous trying and buying without having to go fetch
physical media or wait for it to be delivered

- able to purchase just the tracks I like (a nice side effect is that
artists get more detailed customer feedback than they ever did before)

- artists are rewarded more

- non-value-adding middle men become irrelevant

- better prospects for "start up" artists

- etc.
)

Discuss amongst yourselves on grand-rapids-pm-list.  : )