[Edinburgh-pm] job ad: technical director

James Smith james at robotnetwork.org
Sat Sep 21 10:26:24 PDT 2013

Hello,

I hope it's OK to post a job ad to this list... Thanks!

We are a software startup company, trading with a great product in the
process of securing funding for growth, including room to recruit for
this position and others.

We are looking for a person with Linux and Perl skills to be second in
command on all matters technical, so technical seniority and ability to
make business priorities is essential.

System uptime and management will be your primary responsibility and
programming an area where your contribution can be adapted to suit your
profile. There are also non-technical tasks, including documentation and
developing work processes. This is not a managerial position. The role has
some flexibility for the right person, including optional part time.

If you are interested in working for a startup in Edinburgh, get a chance to
shape your role and the company and have opportunity to telecommute up to two
days per week, please send us a few lines about who you are, and we will send
you more information after which you can choose to apply for the position.

As this is a key role, you would be a director of the company and you would be
offered stock options.

Required skills:

* Linux and/or BSD systems administration
* Rock solid understanding of and experience with scripting in Perl and shell
* Ability to understand and work constructively with code that is not object
  oriented, and deliver readable, well formatted code
* Familiarity with general Perl programming and SQL databases, although an
  ambition to learn in this area is the most important
* Deep understanding of systems security and performance tuning
* Very good understanding of TCP/IP networking

This role depends on us securing funding, so there will be some time before
the full time employment will start. You will be expected to make yourself a
little familiar with the company before you start, in your own time, but we
would of course not expect any major commitment before that time.

We are committed to making an effort at not discriminating based on sex,
religion, ethnicity, sexual orientation, body size, personal style, looks,
age or anything else that is not relevant to your performance, and we aim to
accommodate for disabilities. There is zero tolerance of bullying and power
games, no matter position in the company.

Thanks!

Kind Regards,
James