[Edinburgh-pm] FLOSS UK Conference 2013

Stephen Quinney stephen at jadevine.org.uk
Mon Oct 22 02:13:16 PDT 2012

I know that quite a lot of perl mongers are system
developers/administrators so I thought this would be of interest. I'm
on the organising committee so if you need any more information just
get in touch.

The next FLOSS UK (formerly UKUUG) Spring Conference will be held in
Newcastle-upon-Tyne from Tuesday 19th to Thursday 21st March 2013.

Full details are available at: http://www.flossuk.org/Events/Spring2013

This is an excellent opportunity to give a presentation on anything
related to system administration you have done recently. Have you been
involved in any cool development projects? Have you come up with a
really neat configuration for your systems? Would you be willing to
share your hard won knowledge in return for free access to the
conference?

As well as the technical talks, the conference provides a friendly
environment for delegates to meet, learn, and enjoy lively debate on a
host of subjects. Often the greatest benefit from these events comes
from sharing problems and ideas in the "hallway track".

Possible topics might cover:

  * backup and restore
  * data de-duplication
  * security and audit
  * authentication and authorisation
  * virtualisation and system deployment using 'cloud' technology
  * operating systems
  * network/cluster file systems
  * ethics and legislative compliance
  * storage solutions
  * databases and directory services
  * nomadic and wireless computing
  * cluster management
  * configuration management
  * scripting and task automation
  * benchmarking and performance tuning

don't be put off if your ideas aren't on that list though!

Closing date for talk proposals is 15th November 2012, please don't
feel that you have to have the talk completed by that date. At this
stage you just need to submit a short abstract.

This year the conference was held in the School of Informatics. If you
would like to know anything about the conference or check if your
ideas for a talk might be suitable please don't hesitate to contact
me.