[Edinburgh-pm] Marpa::HTML

Miles Gould miles at assyrian.org.uk
Sat May 21 09:32:32 PDT 2011

On Fri, May 20, 2011 at 12:03 PM, Hakim Cassimally
<hakim.cassimally at gmail.com> wrote:
> (Only tangentially related, but I finally played with Haskell's Parsec
> and was amazed by it.  It was about as simple to declare as a
> Parse::RecDescent parser, BUT it actually worked.)

Weird, my experience was the opposite. Parsec's nice enough until you
want to use a non-standard lexer, whereupon it becomes a nightmare;
P::RD Just Worked.

That said, I wasn't doing anything very complicated with either, and
this was several years ago. I understand Parsec's had at least one
major revision since then. Also, P::RD ended up dominating my app's
running time in many cases: not in the parsing, but in the runtime
construction of the parser itself! I don't think Parsec would have
this problem, or at least not to the same extent.

Miles